The 73rd Fergus Scottish Festival - Fergus Championship & Dance Competitions
Organized by The Fergus Dance Committee, assisted by the H.D.A.O.
Sanctioned by S.O.B.H.D. - C-ON-CO-18-1812
Please read the Competition Rules
Registration for Highland Dance has now closed.
No refunds. No exchanges. No exceptions.
Competition and Championship Rules – Please read carefully
The Championship and Competition will be governed by the rules of the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dance:
- All dancers must show a current SOBHD registration card
- Age groups will be decided at the discretion of the Fergus Dance Committee
- NO REFUNDS of registrations or tickets
- Dancers must dance in own section and age group
- Dancers will dance in inverse order of entry and must dance in numerical sequence or be disqualified
- For the Championships, 2018 Championship steps must be danced
- All judge’s decisions are final; no discussion will be entered into between a judge and a competitor or the parent or legal guardian of a competitor
- Any complaints must be submitted in writing with the complainant’s signature, accompanied by $20.00 and given to the Fergus Dance Committee (prior to the end of the day). The fee will be forfeited if the complaint is not upheld
- IMPORTANT: No status/category changes on the day of the competition. Email status changes to the Registrar at email@example.com. Last day for change is Tuesday, August 7, 2018
- Dancers are asked to participate in the Massed Fling during Opening Ceremonies on Saturday
- Pre-Premier awards will be presented after the Opening Ceremonies
- TENTS (WITHOUT SIDES) MAY BE ERECTED IN DESIGNATED AREA ONLY
- A RESTRICTED PREMIER IS ONE WHO HAS NOT WON A TROPHY IN A PREMIER OR RESTRICTED PREMIER COMPETITION FOR TWO YEARS PRECEDING AUGUST 11, 2018.
All fees, taxes, and SDCCS Surcharge are included in registration rates.
Saturday, August 11, 2018 – Highland – 7:45 A.M. Registration for Pre-Premier
Competition 8:30 A.M.
- Primary $23 Highland Fling(4)/Pas de Bas/Pas de Bas & HiCuts / Sword (2+1)
- Beginner $26 Highland Fling(4)/ Sword (2+1)/ Sean Triubhas (3+1)
- Novice $26 Highland Fling(4)/ Sword (2+1)/ Sean Triubhas (3+1)
- Intermediate $30 Highland Fling(4)/Sword(2+1)/Sean Triubhas(3+1) Strathspey & Half Tulloch
10: 30 A.M. Approx.
- Premier $45 Fergus Scottish Festival Championship (2018 Championship steps must be danced)
Presentation of morning awards after Welcoming Ceremonies
Sunday, August 12, 2018 – 8:30 A.M. Registration
Competition 9:00 A.M. Nationals & Trophy Fling
- Beginner + Trophy Fling $32 Trophy Fling(4)/Strathspey & Highland Reel/Flora MacDonald’s Fancy(4)/Scottish Lilt(4)
- Beginner $26 Strathspey & Highland Reel/Flora MacDonald’s Fancy(4)/Scottish Lilt(4)
- Novice + Trophy Fling $32 Trophy Fling(4)/ Strathspey & Highland Reel/Flora MacDonald’s Fancy(4)/Scottish Lilt(4)
- Novice $26 Strathspey & Highland Reel/Flora MacDonald’s Fancy(4)/Scottish Lilt(4)
- Intermediate $26 Irish Jig (3+1), Flora MacDonald’s Fancy(4), Scottish Lilt (4)
- Premier $26 Irish Jig (3+1), Flora MacDonald’s Fancy(4), Scottish Lilt (4)
- Restricted Premier $26 Irish Jig (3+1), Flora MacDonald’s Fancy(4), Scottish Lilt (4)
Presentation of morning awards
11:30 A.M. Approx Highland – Premiers
- Premier $30 Highland Fling(4)/Sword(2+1)/Sean Triubhas(3+1)/ Strathspey & Half Tulloch
- Restricted Premier $30 Highland Fling(4)/Sword(2+1)/Sean Triubhas(3+1)/ Strathspey & Half Tulloch
Presentation of Highland and special awards
Fergus Scottish Festival Championship
Age groups are: 7 to 9 Yrs, 10 Yrs, 11 Yrs, 12 Yrs, 13 Yrs, 14 Yrs, 15 Yrs, 16 Yrs, 17 Yrs, 18 Yrs, and 19 Yrs & Over.
Fergus reserves the right to combine groups if entries not sufficient.
Prize Money to 2 sections:
- Senior Group – $125/$110/$95/$80/$70/$60
- Junior Group – $100/$75/$50/$40/$30/$20
Trophies are computed based on 6 places & individual awards will be to a maximum of 6 places. Over-all Trophies to 3 places.
Airline Ticket to Scotland – All Championship participants on the day are eligible for the draw for the airline ticket (maximum value of $900) to Scotland.
Medals will be awarded to 6 places to Pre-Premier Classes in both Highland & Nationals.
Highland – Cash prizes will be awarded to ALL Premier & Restricted Premier Classes.
- Senior – $100/$75/$50/$40/$30/$20
- Group 2 – $50/$40/$30/$20/$15/$10
- Group 3 – $40/$30/$25/$20/$15/$10
- Group 4 – $30/$25/$20/$15/$10/$5
- Group 5 – $25/$20/$15/$10/$7.50/$5
- Senior – $50/$40$30/$20/$15/$10
- Group 2 – $40/$30/$25/$20/$15/$10
- Group 3 – $30/$25/$20/$15/$10/$5
- Group 4 – $25/$20/$15/$10/$7.50/$5
- Group 5 – $20/$15/$10/$7.50/$7.50/ $5
- Senior – 100/$75/$50/$40/$30/$20
- Nationals Restricted Premier
- Senior – $50/$40/$30/$20/$15/$10.
Other Nationals Premier & Restricted Premier classes will be awarded medals to 6 places.
- Winner & First runner-up trophies
Novice/Beginner Trophy Fling
- Awards to 3 places in each Class plus Winner Trophy
- Special ‘Teddy’ Draw & participation gift
- Dancer of the Games (highest aggregate over 2 days, including Championship)
- Shirley Ashdown Memorial Sean Triubhas (Dance off for Winners of the Sean Triubhas on Sunday).
- One Airline Ticket to Scotland – Maximum value- $900. Premier Highland Winners & Runners-Up in each age group are eligible for the draw for the Airline ticket
Fergus Festival Scholarship
- Premier 14-year dancer with the highest aggregate over the games including the Championship
- Monetary Scholarships & Spirit Awards to each Section each day
Adult Admission Tickets (Limit 2 per dancer family per day) -50% discount – $15.00 for a Saturday ticket & $10.00 for a Sunday ticket.
Children 12 and under admitted free!!
Fergus Scottish Festival Championship
Championships are special competitions for Premier dancers and are sanctioned by the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing. The Fergus Scottish Festival Championship was created in 2006 in celebration of the Festival’s 60th Anniversary. Dancers perform The Highland Fling, the Sword Dance, The Seann Triubhas and a Reel with set steps chosen each by the by the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing. Dancers are judges by three adjudicators with the marks being combined to determine the winner in each dance and the overall Champion. Overall Trophies are award to Champion, First Runner-Up and Second Runner-Up.
Pre-Premier Highland Competition
This competition is for Primary to Intermediate dancers and includes the Highland Fling, Pas de Bas, Pas des Bas & High Cuts, Sword Dance, Seann Triubhas and Strathspey & Half Tulloch. The competitors are judges individually by a single adjudicator for each dance. Medals are awarded to six places. Primary dancers also receive participation gifts while Beginners to Intermediates receive Winner and Runner-Up trophies and monetary scholarships.
Premier Highland Competition
The four highland dances are included in this competition for Premier and Restricted Premier dancers, with the competitors being judged individually by a single adjudicator for each dance. Winner and First Runner-Up Trophies as well as cash prizes are awarded.
Open to Beginners through Restricted Premier and Premier dancers, dances include the Strathspey and Highland Reel, the Irish Jig, Flora MacDonald’s Fancy and the Scottish Lilt. Winner and First Runner-Up Trophies are awarded. Cash prizes are awarded to the Senior Premier and Restricted Premier Classes while medals are awarded to six places to all others.