The Township of Centre Wellington has been home to people for more than 13,000 years. In particular, the land on which the Township is located was negotiated as part of Treaty 3 (1784) and Treaty 19 (1818), signed by the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation.
Additionally, most of the Township is within lands originally set aside for the people of the Six Nations of the Grand River under the Haldimand Proclamation of 1784.
The Township of Centre Wellington is within the traditional lands of the Attawandaron (or Neutral Nation), the Huron-Wendat Nation, and the Grand River Métis Council.
The Township appreciates the opportunity to work in this territory and acknowledge the past and present contribution of Indigenous communities to the importance of this place.